Saturday, October 29, 2022

Legacy cities

Legacy Cities and the Changing Nature of the Good Life, Ethan Zuckerman blog, Aug. 2022

I will leave this article on top because it speaks for itself. I have been reading Ethan Zuckerman's blog for many many years - surprisingly he is still writing even twenty or thirty years after he started - he spent many years in Ghana, and frankly part of the reason I followed him was that part of me loved the idea of simply moving there, calling it home, and doing whatever was possible to improve life. Now he is applying those skills to the rust-belt cities I grew up in - Buffalo, Toledo, Cleveland, among others - and I could totally understand what he was seeing and saying.

Now by the way he's married (congratulations!), and lives in Pittsfield, Mass. There are worse fates. Read the article and tell me what you think. And, know that I am seeing Galesburg, and all of Illinois, in the same light - as one who has come back, still wondering how to make this area more livable and sustainable. It's everyone's business.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home