Wednesday, January 04, 2006

listening-writing connection

This idea came to me from Kim Hughes Wilhelm; I have no idea where she heard it. She said that generally the better writers are the better listeners, though you would think that writing correlates better to reading. Why is this? Because you have to be able to hear the language, hear the flow of it, to be able to produce a rhythm that will be received well.

Basically I have been mulling over this theory for years and have found that it has some validity. Students get stuck in a translating mode: they basically hear and think everything in their native language, and it's not until they really talk and listen a lot that they are able to break out of it. You would think that reading would do the same thing for them, but it doesn't. To write well, they have to be able to hear it first. And if they can't (hear it), they don't (write well).

More on this later...maybe.

I've been on vacation, and am just returning. I intend to use these posts to reflect on some language-related things I've learned and am mulling over. Comments welcome. Hope you had a good break!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home