Thursday, February 02, 2006

student dialect

I've been teaching for so long that some things look like normal to me. They look so normal that I don't bother correcting them when I'm line-editing. So, if you go back through my students' work on the web (you can find this term's at ae2 or at eap2) you will find some of these errors.

They are consistent over time; I've seen some of them countless times for 17-24 years. They are spoken or used by a large population of people; sometimes Americans in Korea, for example, refer to "Konglish"...they actually convert some English-speakers so that they go around using Konglish phrases (living in Korea, it makes perfect sense)...but, the most interesting thing is that, in some environments, the words and phrases come and go as if they are just any language. It's an interesting concept of dialect, because if everyone involved understands, there's no need to change or adapt to anything.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home