Wednesday, February 22, 2006

connectivism

Lately I've been mulling over Connectivism (Siemens, 2004), which is, as I understand it, a new theory of learning. Basically it says that your ability to find out what you don't know is more important than the total amount of stuff you do know, so that we're very smart and adaptable to be using cell-phones all the time, have lots of connections, but not store a bunch of junk in our heads.

I'm ok with this theory, and even like it, since I'm a well-connected, but shallow-binned memory-storage kind of guy, but I'm not sure you can call it a "learning theory"...it is definitely an adaptive characteristic to a world where there is are gigabytes of information at our fingertips, and we can barely process what we need to get from day to day.

In the same way I've come to accept video games, as I see them as a way for young people to process and try to control a world that to them seems way out of control, way too violent and impossible to understand. One has to back off, grab some control (cell-phone, controller), adjust to the new reality.

I know how to work this into my TESOL presentations. But the question is, how to work it into a cohesive theory of language...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home