Friday, June 23, 2006

more World Cup

ok ok, so the USA lost, and worse, many people seemed to think it was because of the dentist referee, and furthermore, my students are also mourning Korea, Japan, Saudi, and Togo, which fell along with us. But I think I have a lot to be happy about, just comparing this World Cup with the last. For one, games are in the daytime, and I find Americans around who are aware of them; who watch some of them or all of them; who cheer for the USA and in some cases know more about the situation than I do. Second, I'm better connected; when Ghana won I went to my heart's in Accra, a blog by an American guy who lived in Ghana for years (apparently), and carries on an active conversation about both soccer and happenings in Ghana itself, which is very interesting. I'd find you some more soccer commentary (it's there for the taking) but I'm not really keeping up with it well, being too busy. I was in Chicago the summer of 1994 when several games were played there (Greece-Bulgaria being the most memorable) and Chicago responded by closing the Edens Expressway down to one lane...my life was orange-cone city- but much like now, a group of UAE students were unable to concentrate during the Saudi games, and were able to find a television and squeeze some good cheering out of the situation during breaks between classes, even if they chose to attend class. Ah well, it's a long way to 2010, you have to do what you can- and I can only hope we (USA) wi'll be back, and that I'll have time to sit and watch an entire game, instead of only the highlights....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home