Sunday, July 09, 2006

arrivederci

My Italian is so limited, that I have to hope that the title is appropriate. Saw the entire final, the only game I saw in its entirety, at the home of friends who just arrived from Germany. Several things were typical of the tournament itself- the expert footwork & kicking; the awesome header by the Italian guy; the excellent Italian goalie. I was for Italy; I reasoned that the US had tied Italy so that would make us look good.

But I'm still shaking my head about Zidane's intentional head-butt at the end of the game. I reason that these guys always know when the referees are or aren't watching; therefore it was clear that he knew that they weren't, which made it intentional in my view. But did he really think he would get away with it? Competitive, out-of-control, confusing. Outside of that, he was so good at everything he did....it's a mystery. Why one would go so far, be so good, then blow it...shame the country, as one news story put it.

Our friends had actually lived in Germany for the entire year- said they would have been able to get tickets, if they had tried immediately upon arriving, but had other things on their minds. perspective...that's what it all comes down to, I guess...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home