Friday, August 25, 2006

old cultures, new ideas

I found a couple of things at the weblog of Emily B., who reads good things and just moved from Seattle to Hawaii to go to school...the first is about the unearthing of a Klallam village in Washington State, a major find that actually upset the economic wheels of the port angeles area. i'm not an archaeologist, or even a Washingtonian, though my daughter has settled out there, temporarily...but i find this very interesting. Our own area has a treasure of finds beneath it, being a rich river valley and all, but only a shadow of any native culture left in the area. Up in Champaign they fight over the "Illini" symbol - but that poor old chief is about all we've got left, of any real native culture, besides the arrowheads, the stone markings and stone forts, and the feeling you get in Giant City. What I'm wondering, though, is what language they spoke, back then.

The other one is a research path that tries to pin down the similarities between biological evolution and language evolution. Now this is a little more up my alley, what I'd really like to study if I could, though it may have to wait for the moment. I believe they will find some similarity there, though I don't know why, and don't quite have time to figure it out. I just hope Emily keeps putting her course notes on her weblog...

1 Comments:

At 8:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's the plan. I'm hoping the beach won't win out ALL the time over posting. Sometimes is okay, but not always...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home