Monday, October 02, 2006

big weekend for plagiarism

-found out I would be presenting at TESOL '07 in Seattle, which is good, because I get to see my daughter, who is at this very moment making sure the weather is acceptable. This plagiarism discussion would be similar to a TESOL 2006 Discussion, at a Ramada where I lost my wallet in Tampa, thus causing weeks of grief and anxiety, but getting me a little excited about the topic itself, in the process.

-SIU folks find more cases- don't know how long the DE will keep this link up, but basically, there's a good question of how much people, academic people, get away with plagiarism on a routine basis. I have been guilty myself, I know, of various offenses, but also have been a prolific writer in my own right. This blog, for example, is entirely original - though it might have some lifted photos.

-a student copies an article right under my nose, gets away with it for quite a while, but hey, I'm onto it, it's my job. If I wanted a copy, I'd a' given you a dime.

-what's that about research papers? the final? the midterms? Ah but I'm not truly a writing teacher this term, don't know about Turnitin, don't know how to set lab computers on "test mode." Don't know what anyone is talking about. Small goals- learning about this stuff, a challenge on my path, but that's what's coming. In good times, we publish quite a bit, and I check it- even read it, if not edit it- make sure it's not copied. A few get by. And occasionally, I have to write a a story just to keep my sanity.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home