Saturday, March 18, 2006

TESOL report

Returned from Tampa, and can say several things, besides, boy is there a lot of sun down there.

1. four presentations went well; blogs are big, and most TESOL people don't even know what a podcast is, let alone mention it. I almost ran out of my big handout before I even gave my presentation, and all my handouts disappeared fast. Blogs were being talked about and presented a lot, BUT
2. TESOL seems to be more k-12 than usual, and k-12 institutions are "locked down," in terms of the web, unable to see much of blogger or really dig around the web to get enough information. I was not able to figure out exactly what way they would be able to use blogs, though someone asked me. All I could say is, I have trouble even imagining that.
3. I promised to try to write for Essential Teacher and to consider putting myself up for TESOL Nominating Committee. We'll see if either happens.
4. Saw old friends, Margi, Jamie, Masoud, Jenny & many others, and went to the SIUC reunion, which I think should not have been at 4:00 Wed. Live & learn.
5. I went to a reception given by the Saudi Cultural Mission....very informative. Brought back some books that read from right to left.
6. TESOL's biggest problem with these cities is finding a place that has BOTH nice convention center facilities AND nearby hotels. In Tampa there were plenty of hotels (plenty of spring-breakers too) but they weren't nearby. A fatal flaw. A nice city, though.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home